Occupation: TCM / FSN Practitioner.
- Graduated from the University of Guelph, Canada in 1981 with a BSc (Hons) degree in Genetics.
- Then awarded a Master degree in 1985 and a PhD degree in 1989 in Scottish History by the same University.
- In 2000, awarded License in Acupuncture by College of Integrated Chinese Medicine, Reading, England.
- Began FSN training in 2015, and continued in Nanjing and Beijing in 2018.
- In 2016, awarded Doctor of Science in Alternative Medicines by the Indian Board of Alternative Medicine, Kolkata, India.
Professional Experience: Member of ATCM since 2002. Has been a regional organiser for Scotland since 2004, and is the English language editor for ATCM’s journal. In 2019, became a member of the European FSN Association and became a member for FSN on the World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies, Beijing. Has been in practise in Tain, Ross-Shire, Scotland since 2001 using both TCM and FSN for a variety of conditions.
As well as working in medicine Dr Mearns was a senior lecturer in Gaelic language and history in the University of the Highlands and Islands, Inverness, Scotland from 2004 to 2019. He lives in Sutherland, Scotland where he runs a small farm.